We’ve combined the traditional Artist Alley and Dealers Room into ONE spectacular anime and gaming shopping event: the T-MODE OTAKU BAZAAR!
Instead of having separate “Artist Alley” or “Dealers Room” areas, we mix everyone together — artists and vendors alike — into the same space. We welcome everyone in the Otaku Bazaar as a Merchant, a seller of goods.
T-MODE is a fun size event. We host over 500 unique attendees who are passionate about Anime, Gaming and Japanese Pop Culture.
Because of our smaller size, we curate Merchants to allow for the most diverse merchandise to be sold. An Otaku Bazaar Application must be submitted to request booth space. The Bazaar Sultan will review your application, then will notify you of your approval or will ask for additional information.
$150 Early | $180 Late
Your booth space includes:
- (1) 6′ x 6′ Booth Area
- (1) 6′ x 30″ Draped Table
- (2) Chairs
- (2) Complimentary 3-Day Memberships
- No purchase limit of booth spaces
- $180 Rate Increase — Jan 1, 2015
Your Otaku Bazaar booth is not confirmed until your payment is received.
- If your application is approved, you will receive an email with instructions to purchase your booth space.
- Your booth may be released to other Merchants if not paid in full within (7) days of your approval email.
- Payments are processed via PayPal. We accept: PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express.
- Contact the Bazaar Sultan should you need to cancel your space. Only the person who originally purchased the booth can request a cancellation.
- Cancellations received after March 1, 2015 will not be refunded. Allow up to 4 weeks following the last day of the convention to process refunds.
- Membership badges are required by all Merchants in the Otaku Bazaar. You receive (2) free badges with your booth space. You can purchase additional memberships at the current available rate.
- Merchants may not resell or sublet spaces. Merchants may configure their spaces as they wish, as long as it does not violate the spaces of other Merchants, fire codes and hotel policies.
- Electricity is available at no additional cost. Merchants are responsible for providing their own extension cords. Heavy duty extension cords of 50′ or longer are recommended.
- The location, dimensions and arrangement of booth spaces in the Otaku Bazaar are subject to change. T-MODE reserves the right to make adjustments to the Otaku Bazaar area at any time without notice, including during the convention.
In general, T-MODE permits Merchants to sell whatever they want in the Otaku Bazaar as long as:
- it’s legal, and
- it’s primarily anime/ gaming/ Japan culture related.
- Accessories — bags, jewelry, key chains
- Art — licensed JDM prints, fan art, original works
- Apparel — clothing, hats, kimonos, t-shirts
- Books — manga, doujinshi, art books, magazines
- CDs — music, software, domestic, import
- Collectibles — cels, figurines, models
- Costumes — clothing, ears, props, wigs
- Décor — furniture, posters, wall scrolls
- DVDs — anime, live-action, domestic, import
- Games — cards, video games, systems
- Snacks — Japanese candy, pocky, ramune
- Toys — plush figures, action figures
- Weapons — airsoft, knives, swords
- Fan Art
T-MODE encourages the creation of original work and supports emerging talent in their respective fields. However, T-MODE recognizes that fan art is a form of creative expression and it will generally be allowed in the Otaku Bazaar. Merchants bear all responsibility and risk for the creation of fan art if they are not the legitimate copyright holder.
- Adult Material
Adult material may only be sold to individuals who are age 18 or older. The Merchant must verify the appropriate age by checking ID. Adult material must be presented in a discreet manner and separated from all non-adult material. Merchants will be warned once by T-MODE staff if the staff disapproves of how mature artwork is displayed. If a Merchant fails to comply with the warning, the Merchant will be removed from the Otaku Bazaar without refund.
Hours of Operation
|8am – 2pm Setup||9am – 10am Setup||9am – 10am Setup|
|2pm – 8pm Attendee Access||10am – 6pm Attendee Access||10am – 3pm Attendee Access|
- The Otaku Bazaar is located in a room with set operating hours.
The room is locked and secured at closing each night. T-MODE reserves the right to change the hours of operation at any time, including during the convention.
- All spaces left unclaimed by 10am Saturday morning will be reclaimed by T-MODE.
Forfeited spaces do not qualify for a refund. If you plan to arrive at a later time, please let us know.
- Breakdown of spaces must be completed by 5pm Sunday evening.
Merchants are responsible for the cleaning of their respective areas and agree to remove all trash and belongings at the conclusion of the event. Any and all items left behind, including merchandise, will be discarded or will become the property of T-MODE.
T-MODE’s location within the state of Maryland requires an applicable state of sales tax to be charged to merchandise sold in the Otaku Bazaar that’s separate from the amount of sale. The current sales tax rate is 6%. Merchants are required to receive a state Tax ID from the Comptroller of the Treasury either before or after the convention, and submit the collected sales tax. T-MODE will provide a list of all registered Merchants to the Maryland Comptroller’s office prior to the start date of the convention. All Merchants are responsible for obtaining any licenses or permits required by local, state, and federal law. If you have any questions about Maryland State Sales Tax, contact the Maryland State Comptroller’s Office at (410) 767-1544.
And finally, some legal stuff. It’s important, so please read it carefully, but we don’t expect this will be a problem for any of T-MODE’s Merchants.
1. Merchant Conduct
T-MODE maintains the authority to remove any Merchant without refund who demonstrates disruptive behavior towards staff, guests, other merchants, and attendees. Ejected Merchants will be forced to remove their merchandise and vacate their space unless another member of the ejected Merchant’s party remains to continue operation of the space. Each Merchant is responsible for any claims of liability arising from the Merchant’s actions, and hereby indemnifies T-MODE of any responsibility.
The Otaku Bazaar is located in a room that is locked during non-operating hours. T-MODE will also provide a security presence during operating hours. However, Merchants are solely and fully responsible for their property, personal vehicles, and displays. T-MODE will not be held liable for any loss of equipment, merchandise, revenue, or any other direct or indirect damages however caused.
3. Unlicensed Merchandise
T-MODE does not allow the sale or promotion of any merchandise that violates the United States copyright law, including bootleg items. Only items licensed in the US or authentic Japanese imports will be permitted. Any item that does not carry the proper copyright information, or none at all, will be considered a breach of this policy. Any violation will come with a severe warning and the Merchant must remove the offending merchandise from the convention area. Failure to comply or subsequent violation will result in immediate ejection from the convention and forfeiture of all fees without the possibility of a refund.
4. Adult Merchandise
Adult merchandise must be properly concealed from minors and may only be sold to individuals who are age 18 or older. Merchants must verify the appropriate age by checking ID. The sale of adult material to minors is strictly prohibited and will result in the ejection of the Merchant and forfeiture of all fees.
Weapons must be sold in accordance with state and local laws. Merchants are responsible for being aware of these laws and abiding by them. Merchants must ensure weapons are displayed in a manner to prevent the mishandling of merchandise, and that purchased weapons are sealed and packaged securely. T-MODE may require the removal of weapons that pose an apparent danger to attendees, other merchants, or merchandise.
6. Room Transactions
The sale of merchandise from hotel rooms is strictly prohibited. Any Merchant found selling merchandise from a hotel room will be referred to hotel security.
7. Taxes & Licenses
Merchants will be responsible for obtaining any licenses, permits, or approvals required under local, state, and federal laws applicable to their activities at T-MODE. Merchants will be responsible for obtaining any tax identification numbers and paying all taxes, license fees, and any charges that will come due to any governmental authority in connection with their activity at T-MODE.
8. Promotional Consent
T-MODE may photograph and take audio/video recordings of the Otaku Bazaar for promotional and commercial purposes. Your participation in the Otaku Bazaar grants your consent to be photographed, filmed, and/or recorded by T-MODE, and allows T-MODE to use your likeness now and in perpetuity for any promotional, commercial, archival, or educational use.
T-MODE and the Hilton Washington DC/Rockville are not responsible for any injury or losses due to theft, damage, fire, or other causes. Merchants agree to hold harmless T-MODE and the Hilton Washington DC/Rockville for any such losses. Merchants shall obtain, at their own expense, adequate insurance against such injury, loss, or damage.
Merchant’s liability shall include all losses, costs, damages or expenses arising from or out of or by reason of any accident or bodily injury or other occurrences to any person or persons, including the Merchant, its agents, employees and business invites which arise from the Merchant’s occupancy and use of the exhibition premises, the hotel, or any part thereof. Merchants shall be fully responsible to pay for any and all damages to property owned by T-MODE and the Hilton Washington DC/Rockville, its owners and managers, which results from any act or omission from the Merchant. Merchant agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless T-MODE and the Hilton Washington DC/Rockville, its owners, managers, officers or directors, agents, employees, subsidiaries and affiliates from any damages or charges resulting from the Merchant’s use of the property.
Should any provision of this agreement be rendered or declared invalid by reason of any existing or subsequently enacted legislation or by any decree by a court of competent jurisdiction, such invalidation of such part or portion of this document shall not invalidate the remaining portions, and they shall remain in full force and effect.